#13: Final result

The result..It looks very technical, a bit like spaceship or something. In the end I can make peace with the end result. Maybe I could have done a lot better if I had found some inspiration or motivation along the way.  Nevertheless I also learned a lot. About packaging, folding techniques, connection techniques but most importantly: start earlier and experiment more, get the ideas out and try them.. Before doing this study I allready ‘made’ a lot of things, also lampshades, but I always started from an idea that formed in my head, made some sketches and then moved fast forward to actually making it. I should slow down the process, try more, experiment more.. Anyway, looking forward to the presentation tomorow and hearing my teacher’s comments.

#13: Development 5

I had built a little metal mounting frame to try stuff earlier but it was hard to get ‘right’ and as I said in my previous post I came up with a simpler idea for a mounting plate also made from the same pp sheet. The shape just slides over de plate and stays in position. Changing the lightbulb is as easy as just lifting the shade off. Simple and effective, I like!

#13: Development 4

It took me a lot of time to manually cut all the foldouts. Since my shape is very geometrical precision is an issue… I made some layovers to speed up the process of drawing the cutlines and to check my foldlines and sizes. 12 hours and 2 hands full of sore fingers I was able to put the complete shape together. If only I had began earlier….

I realized that mounting the shade on the lampholder could be very simple, I will finish that part tomorow and then clean my lampshade, it’s big mess with pencilgraphite and fingerstains. For something that didn’t ‘spark’ me, surprisingly, I somehow start liking the result. It could be just the emotional value attached to the time spent in making it offcourse.

#13: Development 3

So.. It took me some time to get started it again. Holidays, exams, other projects. Somehow this project has been a drag for me, it never really ‘triggered’ or ‘inspired’ me. I would sometimes wake up at night with another idea, trying it later on got me irritated and feel like ditching the whole thing in the trash. I never got to a point where I got this ‘yes, this is it’ feeling….Since my time is running out I dediced to go for what was actually in my head from the very beginning. A very technical skeleton. I stopped worrying about hiding connections or trying to make them look as a part of the design.

I calculated how big my shade could be considering the size of the foldout that has to fit on the pp sheet. The maximum size for the circumscribed sphere or outside diameter is about360mm. A nice size for lampshade I would say.

Next fase will be connecting 4 groups, of 3’cups’ each, together.

#13 Development 2

It was hard to fully understand the mathematical relationships between the different faces and the axles inside the dodecahedron. I was convinced for a while that the three folded cups I made earlier could be mounted on the faces or the corners of a regular triangle pyramid. It seemed so logical that if I had 4 identical forms and I wanted to mount them in a sphere; the axes or faces I mount them on would all have the same angles between them. When I started trying this in paper it appeared that my thinking was wrong. Yes, the centerpoints of my 4 identical shapes were on the corners of this pyramid BUT the centerlines where not facing towards the center of the sphere… To get a better understanding of the dodecahedron I decided to make a very simple foldout, put it together and mark the faces with colors. It was only then, by holding it in my hands and putting my fingers on corners and faces I could visualize my mistakes.

Earlier I explained another idea to my teacher about mounting the 4pieces on a bent metalframe. Allthough we were supposed to keep the use of metalwire for structuring to a minimum (and invisible) he told me to keep it as 2th or 3th option.

The last picture shows another little thingie that came to mind. It’s a very simple shape/idea but if all else fails…. At least I have something.

I decided to give it (and myself) a little rest and pick up were I left after the holidays.