What a project, I started this lampshade assignment with great enthousiasm. Along the way I got lost in inspiration, lack of experience in working with flat and flexibel material.. So the project became a bit of a drag. Combining it with lots of other projects coming together at the same time made me push this one a little more to the background.
After exploring a bit more with the nannolith I extracted a nice shape that can be ‘easily’ folded. Feedback from the teacher was also very good, he liked this shape and even suggested to use it as is. With my time shortening it’s about time I made a decision on what exploration I will us to develop further into an actual lampshade. So then.. I will go for the Nannolith inspiration source, wich was actually my preference from the beginning.
During the class I tried attaching the shape to a triangle surface and later a tetraëder with some cutoff corners. I like where that’s going an it resulted in more good feedback.
After letting the lesson about inspiration sink in and taking in account the advise of the teacher about the time consuming process, ideas started flowing again. I decided to quit on the leaves and the spiral for now and get back to my first choice of inspiration. There are many aspects I like about the nannolith but especially the gap between the faces and the different layers that build up the faces speak to me.
When approaching the design of the nannolith I kept the process in my head to much. That is… well, difficult to get your head around. I decided to just make some basic building ‘blocks and see what interesting ways I could find to connect them together. While doing so I discovered more mathematical ‘patterns’ in the general structure. Mainly angles between the different faces. More on that later..
In a previous post I stated I wanted to continue my further explorations on the Nannolith but the spiral Aloë kept on buzzing in my mind. Ideas kept flowing and it was even waking me up at night… I felt I needed to to some more exploring on the leaves and the spiral. So I spent about 6 hours in total exploring leave shapes, overlap distances, curve/bend ratios.
Figuring out how connect the leaves with some overlap, make them stand in a desired angle connecting them together AND have them spiraling out is as slow trial and error proces. It feels a bit as if I’m hacking into the code of the plant :-)… To speed things up I made a quick design>> spiralleaves2 for a leave in cad, exported it to illustrator and put 9 leaves scaling up per 10% on an A3 page and printed them. For referencing I printed the size on each leave.
On 15th I discussed progress on the project with my teacher. He was surprised to see me go back to the Aloë after stating last week I wanted to continue the project with the Nannolith. Then he told me that an Aloë was on his ‘blacklist’… Because it was such an obvious first ‘google’ choice that many students put into their inspiration collection. When he looked at the things I did so far he was glad to see I wasn’t just sticking some leaves on a pole but analysing the complete structure and trying to really get as close to the real thing as possible. Allthough he warned me for the the time it would cost to get ‘close’, he gave me ‘permition’ to continue.. Later on I heard him giving feedback to another student stating that; inspiration is not the same as imitating something. Get inspiration and ideas, let it rest and then use aspects of your inspiration to create something new; that was what he was looking for. A very valuable lesson for me that is!
I needed to go to Ikea to get the base for the lamp project. So I passed through the lighting area and looked at some lampshade’s in polyprop and carton. They don’t offer a lot of lampshades of this kind but I found some interesting things;