The result..It looks very technical, a bit like spaceship or something. In the end I can make peace with the end result. Maybe I could have done a lot better if I had found some inspiration or motivation along the way. Nevertheless I also learned a lot. About packaging, folding techniques, connection techniques but most importantly: start earlier and experiment more, get the ideas out and try them.. Before doing this study I allready ‘made’ a lot of things, also lampshades, but I always started from an idea that formed in my head, made some sketches and then moved fast forward to actually making it. I should slow down the process, try more, experiment more.. Anyway, looking forward to the presentation tomorow and hearing my teacher’s comments.
It was hard to fully understand the mathematical relationships between the different faces and the axles inside the dodecahedron. I was convinced for a while that the three folded cups I made earlier could be mounted on the faces or the corners of a regular triangle pyramid. It seemed so logical that if I had 4 identical forms and I wanted to mount them in a sphere; the axes or faces I mount them on would all have the same angles between them. When I started trying this in paper it appeared that my thinking was wrong. Yes, the centerpoints of my 4 identical shapes were on the corners of this pyramid BUT the centerlines where not facing towards the center of the sphere… To get a better understanding of the dodecahedron I decided to make a very simple foldout, put it together and mark the faces with colors. It was only then, by holding it in my hands and putting my fingers on corners and faces I could visualize my mistakes.
Earlier I explained another idea to my teacher about mounting the 4pieces on a bent metalframe. Allthough we were supposed to keep the use of metalwire for structuring to a minimum (and invisible) he told me to keep it as 2th or 3th option.
The last picture shows another little thingie that came to mind. It’s a very simple shape/idea but if all else fails…. At least I have something.
I decided to give it (and myself) a little rest and pick up were I left after the holidays.
What a project, I started this lampshade assignment with great enthousiasm. Along the way I got lost in inspiration, lack of experience in working with flat and flexibel material.. So the project became a bit of a drag. Combining it with lots of other projects coming together at the same time made me push this one a little more to the background.
After exploring a bit more with the nannolith I extracted a nice shape that can be ‘easily’ folded. Feedback from the teacher was also very good, he liked this shape and even suggested to use it as is. With my time shortening it’s about time I made a decision on what exploration I will us to develop further into an actual lampshade. So then.. I will go for the Nannolith inspiration source, wich was actually my preference from the beginning.
During the class I tried attaching the shape to a triangle surface and later a tetraëder with some cutoff corners. I like where that’s going an it resulted in more good feedback.
After letting the lesson about inspiration sink in and taking in account the advise of the teacher about the time consuming process, ideas started flowing again. I decided to quit on the leaves and the spiral for now and get back to my first choice of inspiration. There are many aspects I like about the nannolith but especially the gap between the faces and the different layers that build up the faces speak to me.
When approaching the design of the nannolith I kept the process in my head to much. That is… well, difficult to get your head around. I decided to just make some basic building ‘blocks and see what interesting ways I could find to connect them together. While doing so I discovered more mathematical ‘patterns’ in the general structure. Mainly angles between the different faces. More on that later..
Difficult to get a nice fit and overlap of the different segments. There is also a minimum size for the individual discs because of the maximum curve (for the inner radius) that can be folded in the sheet.
I quite like the idea and this exploration, it’s a very simplyfied version of the Radiolaria. I would like to find a way to make the outer shell lines curve along the little bends on the section discs. I will also need to fix them on the bends and think about a way to fix it all together. Lots of question marks here.
This is my favorite exploration. The nannolith is basically a regular dodecahedron thus a mathematical shape. That makes it complex and simple at the same time. Amazing how nature looks so ‘designed’ when you zoom in to it.
For my lampshade the complexity comes down to finding the right sizes taking in account the thickness of the sheet and figure out a simple way to ‘click’ the 12 identical blocks together.